Thursday, September 29, 2011

One Year

Today, this little blog turns one year old!  I wanted to take today to say "thank you" to all those who read this blog, comment, and take time to let me know that you enjoy reading! 

The past year has taught me a great deal about the online community and the power of connecting with others.  I was thinking about it the other day and I realized that this blog is one of the only things that I make an effort to do just for myself and no other reason!  This blog isn't related to school or organizational responsibilities or work.  It is great to have something that is all my own and that I do just for myself.  It is also great to know that I have committed to this for the past year and have every desire to stay committed in the future. 

I have to admit, sometimes I feel like I am just talking about nothing.  I guess we all have self-doubt from time to time and we all feel like that at times.  Oddly enough, the posts that I write and think are most random and specific only to me are often the posts that get the greatest number of comments.  I really believe that this is a reminder to me that we are all much more similar than we think. 

In this next year, I have some personal goals for myself and for blogging.  I think goals are very important.  I read a LOT of blogs, but my commenting has dropped off recently, especially as the number of hours I spend at work and school increases.  I want to get back to commenting more consistently.  I love commenting and feel that it is a very important part of being a blog reader & author because it increases the personal involvement. 

Beyond that, instead of saying over the next year I want to blog more often (which I do), I think I will leave it at this: in the next year, I want to blog with more heart.  I want to talk about things that are on my heart, however difficult or boring they may seem.  I am a private person, but I also need to learn how to put myself out there a little bit more.  And yes, I know it seems odd to say that, as a blogger,  I still consider myself very private. 
source
When I was a teenager, people told me I had a very tender heart and I always felt that too.  Over the years of college and beyond, I think I have hardened a little bit from life's experiences and trails.  I don't think I'm any worse off from this hardening, but I want to be more open and compassionate going forward.  The truth is, we are all going through something.  I am.  You are.  As you read this, there are problems in your life and things that you are scared and unsure about.  There are people whose feelings you've hurt and there are people who have hurt you too.  One of the greatest things about following blogs is reading about other people's thoughts and perspectives and realizing not that you're the same as someone else, but that you aren't alone. Even though I think we know that rationally, sometimes it is difficult to remember. 

Thanks again for reading along over the past year.  As always, if you have any specific questions for me or ideas for what you'd like to hear about, please leave them in the comments or email me.  

2 comments:

  1. i think your goal is a fabulous one!
    i, like you, have always been pretty tender hearted. i think i hardened for a bit and then had my kids and now i wear my emotions on my sleeve and let people know how i feel. it feels much better this way- trust me. i might cry more, but i am sure i laugh more, too.
    looking forward to what the next year of blogging for you brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am able to comment today ?!? weird. but i LOVE reading your blog, and i really want to jump on the bandwagon. love you :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.