Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Traveling with Pets Part I

I have a couple of weeks off between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of the summer semester, so I decided to book a trip home (to Tennessee) to get some things at home organized and taken care of.  For fellow recent college grads or anyone who still has a room "at home" meaning your parent's home, you will understand what I mean when I say that I still have some things of mine there, and they are completely unorganized and messy.  It isn't a pretty site.

Anyway, because I'm planning to go for longer than a weekend, I'll be bringing little Miss Eliza with me.

I'm pretty nervous about this, and if I had the choice, I would leave her in D.C.  However, leaving her for an extended period is not something I'm willing to do. 

Since I'll be flying, there are several factors that I know have already impacted our trip.
1. Flying with a pet on the airline I'll be using is $125. Each way. This is for the pet to be in the cabin with you- under the seat in front of you.
(Does that strike anyone else as a little bit high?)
2. I will be flying non-stop because the idea of flying with a pet stresses me out enough as it is without connections being a factor.
3.  I will need a pet carrier for le puppy dog.  I'm considering several options right now.  If anyone has travelled with a pet and has an opinion about any of these, I would really, really appreciate it. 

This is the Bergan Pet Carrier. It is $29.99 at amazon. 

This is the Sherpa Bag Pet Carrier. It is a pricer $65.00 at amazon. 

4.  I'm considering buying some type of calming agent to give her.  In the past, she's been given Benadryl for her allergies or other illnesses and this has made her sleepy.  I'm considering doing that again, but would also like to consider other options.  I will be seeking our vet's advice on this subject.

Nutri-Vet Pet-Ease Wafers. $6.29 for 8 ounces. 
Have you ever used anything like this for your dog? How did it work for him/her? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide on this topic!  You may have noticed I titled this post "Part I" and that is because I plan on posting an update once we've travelled so that I can provide advice to anyone out there who might be considering a trip with their pet(s)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.