Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Nook for Students


Not only can you buy books without having to go to a store (big bonus for me... since Barnes & Noble or Target is kind of far away), but you can download said books practically instantly.

Well, recently I've taken advantage of another feature of the Nook- downloading PDFs.

This is the Nook charger that comes with the device when you purchase it. It works sort of like an Apple product- the charger's cord has a USB connection on one end, so all you have to do is connect the Nook to your computer using this cord.

I absolutely love this feature. Using my Mac, I can drag PDFs to my Nook and they download in seconds.  It is so much easier to read on the Nook for a long period of time than it is to read from my computer screen. And frankly, I spend enough time on the computer as it is. It is also much more portable- I can toss the Nook in my backpack or purse and take it with me just as I would with a book.

Best of all? I don't have to waste time, money, paper & ink printing out the NUMEROUS PDFs that are assigned in each of my classes to read each week.
Sorry about the orb from the flash!
One tip I have for those who want to do this is to name your PDF files in a way that makes sense to you.   For example, I name mine using the date the reading is assigned + the name of the document used on the syllabus.  This makes it easy for me to spot what I'm looking for in the "My Documents" folder of my Nook.  I'm sure you could even organize your files further and use multiple folders, but I haven't felt the need to explore that option yet. 

So just in case you are on the fence about e-readers- here's another great plus for you, especially if you are a student! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving such a important information shared by you.
    This is a very useful post shared by you.Thanks for providing such a valuable information with us.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.