Monday, February 7, 2011

Random Weekend & Organization

How was your weekend? I had a lot on my to-do list this weekend and sadly I didn't get as much done as I wanted. But isn't that always the way it goes with the weekends? I always feel like Sunday night gets here too quickly.


The weather on Saturday was dreary and rainy.  That makes it so hard to get anything done. But yesterday, it was beautiful! I met a friend for brunch and then came home and took Eliza for a long walk.  I think she really enjoyed it. We went to a little park nearby and she just had to sniff every single tree.  It is nice again today so I'm hoping I will get some things done this morning and be able to take her for another walk this afternoon. 


I was able to get a little organization and cleaning up done around my house.  I thought I would share since I know a lot of people are always looking for ways to organize the things we use every day but don't necessarily know how to store.


I moved several times last year- first from Baton Rouge to a temporary dorm in D.C. (with a stop at home in between) and then to my apartment that I live in now.  I won't go through all the details, but every move was really disjointed and not very organized due to lack of time. I did my best to get everything I thought I needed where I needed it, but it was really hard.  Some things got lost in the shuffle and when I first moved into my new apartment, my makeup and toiletries got neglected.  I had several bags and bins of bathroom "stuff" and I just never really organized all of it, beyond organizing my everyday necessities.


Here is what my bathroom drawer looked like before:


I also had several things in my closet that needed to be gone through, so I started by emptying everything out and organizing like things together. 
As you can see, I had a bunch of really random junk.  This was the result of going on trips and never really unpacking, and moving lots of times and still never fully unpacking or having a real place to store all my worldly things.


I had a couple of old Vera Bradley cosmetic bags that most of this stuff was stored in, so I emptied them out, wiped down the inside with a Clorox wipe, and store stuff back in them.
This is what things look like now. Much better. And now I actually know where things are- there is one spot for nail polish, and another for first aid-kit items like bandaids and medicine.


I also got a chance to get all my non-everyday make up together.  I have two drawers in my bathroom. One is for the makeup that I wear every day (left).  The other (right) holds make up that I bought for fun or a special occasion.
Now I can actually find what I need when I need it.  These drawer organizers are great.  I got them at Target and they are similar to ones found here, except that mine are made for smaller drawers.  It is hard to tell in this picture, but they have little cardboard dividers that you can pull out if you want to or collapse if you need a bigger storage area.  I think I paid around $12 or $15 for a pack of two.


Getting to the gym today is on my list of things to do- please wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.