Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Brain Dump

Valentine's Day.  Blegh.

There is nothing I really like about Valentine's Day.  Beyond elementary school, it just becomes a huge pain the the you-know-what.

First of all, I don't really care for the color red. Not in clothing and not in décor.  I don't have anything against red, I just don't gravitate towards it at all.  That said, I'm not a huge fan of pink either. Don't get me wrong, I like it and will not necessarily avoid it, but I've just grown out of it.

Second of all. Hearts. Double blegh. Some things just should not be heart shaped in my opinion. Paper decorations? Okay- fine.  Sugar decorations? For Valentine's Day, yes they are appropriate. Diamonds or other jewelry? Ummm... no. Just no. 

The way I feel about Valentine's Day is sort of the way I feel about New Year's Eve and Thanksgiving.  With both Valentine's and New Year's Eve, there is so much pressure. Pressure to do something fun, to have a better night than everyone else, to spend money and to feel bad about yourself if you don't accomplish those things.  
Source
And with Valentine's and Thanksgiving, I honestly think it is a little bit pathetic that we need reminders to tell someone we love them or to express out loud what we are thankful for.  Have we really gotten that busy? The answer, I'm sure, is no.  We aren't that busy.  But a lot of us are that lazy. And a lot of us have learned how to take the things we love or are grateful for, for granted.  I think the sentiment is really nice, but people shouldn't need a pre-scheduled reminder for these things.

Let's face it. Valentine's Day can also be super awkward for the population of people not in committed relationships.  I mean, if you are "sort-of" dating someone, it can be a disaster of worrying about whether or not you should celebrate the day.  And for other singles, well let's just say that I think some people dwell on the fact that they don't have a valentine much too much. It can just be one more reason to feel bad about yourself.  But let's be honest.  It is a completely dumb reason to feel bad about yourself.
Source
Yep, I think I will just ignore the holiday all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.