Thursday, February 24, 2011

Une écharpe

I don't know how the weather is where you live, but in D.C., the weather is changing not only day to day but hour to hour.  I can go out for a walk with Eliza in the morning and be underdressed for the chilliness, and by mid-afternoon not only has it warmed up like it normally does, but it is 65 degrees!  And some days it is incredibly windy.  I say all of this just to say that this time of year with cold-snaps and warm-snaps can present some problems in the wardrobe department. 

Enter the scarf.  Or as the French call it, une écharpe. 
About two and a half years ago, I noticed that scarves started making a comeback in a big way.  One of the great things about scarves is that they come in so many different styles today. Cashmere wraps, silk carres, cotton voile scarves... the possibilities seem endless.  And a great thing about a scarf is that they are so versatile and light that you can put them on and take them off and store them if you get too warm.  


And a scarf can instantly take your outfit from average to cute.  Just look at Katie Holmes, below.
Source
Here are some fun outfit ideas for different types of scarves.
One of the things I love most about scarves is that if you buy a classic one, like a silk scarf, you can literally keep it forever.  Just don't get caught up in the idea that silk scarves are only for older gals. They can look great on a woman of any age!
Source
Source
And finally, let me say that if you are looking for inspiration about how to wear (and properly tie) a scarf, please check out Une Femme.  She has wonderful tutorials about many, many ways of wearing scarves! 

2 comments:

  1. I live in scarves... year round - lighter ones in the summer. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream, and I'm sure it's yours too, to own an Hermes scarf like Miranda Preistly (except that Miranda owns like a thousand and uses her signature white Hermes scarves like kleenex).

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.