Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Recap

How has your weekend been? Eliza woke me up way too early for a Sunday this morning, but instead of going back to sleep I decided to get up and try to be productive. 

This post is just a random recap of a lot of different thoughts, so bear with me.

I recently joined Netflix using their free trial offer.  The first month is free with this offer and I think I will probably keep it for at least a month more. To have dvd's sent to your home, it is only $10, so the price really isn't that bad if you take advantage of sending the dvd's back promptly and really using the service.  I've been able to see a few movies already that have been on my list for a while.

1. The Kids Are All Right.
I thought this movie was really good, but I'm not really sure why it was categorized as a comedy.  I didn't think it was all that funny even though it was good.  I would recommend it, but be prepared for more of a "family drama" type thing.

2. Toy Story 3
I have to be honest and say that I was a little disappointed by Toy Story 3.  It was really good but not as stellar as I was expecting.  I think that it was just overly hyped and left me expecting more.

3. The Social Network
Okay, for you West Wing lovers out there, Aaron Sorkin, the creator and a main writer for The West Wing, also wrote the screenplay for The Social Network. So this movie really reminded me a lot of West Wing. It was a lot of talking. A lot. The script was funny and witty and smart, but after a while I was just tired of listening to it.  Maybe it's because I wasn't that interested in the subject to begin with. I mean it was good, but I really cannot see why it beat out The King's Speech for Best Dramatic Picture at the Golden Globes and I certainly do not think it is Oscar Best Picture material.  Just my two cents.

4. The Duchess
I watched this one on Netflix instant (which is really cool, by the way).  If you are into movies like Elizabeth, The Other Boleyn Girl, Marie Antoinette, or The Young Victoria, you will probably like The Duchess.  I feel like all these movies are sort of the same after a while, but the costumes and sets are so amazing that I don't really care if I've seen the same plot 3 times.

I also ended up getting to see a friend from high school who was in town this weekend.  That was really fun.  I met up with her and another high school friend who now lives in D.C.  It has been fun to reconnect with people now that we live in the same place.  My friend who lives here now, Caitlin, and I planned to go see No Strings Attached last night.  Because of our dinner timing, we ended up going to see Just Go With It instead.  
Source
I really was not expecting much from this movie, especially because I feel like with every comedy I've seen lately, all the jokes have already been revealed in the previews and the rest of the movie just sort of stinks.  That was not the case with this one.  This was one of those movies that made me really laugh and laugh.  The plot was extremely predictable, but it was so much funnier than I was expecting.  And Jennifer Anniston was really at her comedic best. 
Source
I have to say the kids in this movie were awesome.  They are fantastic actors! The little girl especially cracked me up.  I also think this is a good guy/ girl movie since Adam Sandler is pretty universally appealing and there is a lot of eye candy for the guys in this one.

Last random tidbit: I also made some amazing muffins yesterday.  Come back Tuesday for the recipe!
Out of focus yumminess.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. The rest of my day will look something like this as I do some reading for my classes.
Source


1 comment:

  1. I had zero intention of watching Just Go With It, but I might now based on your review... at least if I can find a fellow chick flick lover in time!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.