Monday, March 14, 2011

Mardi Gras Recap (Lots O' Pics)

Well, I think I mentioned before that I just had the greatest time at Mardi Gras this year. I think it might have been one of my most fun Mardi Gras experiences ever. 
My friend Kathryn got to be in one of the parades this year. If you've never been to Mardi Gras before, you might not understand how everything works. This is sort of the best way I can explain it.  There are big social organizations called "krewes."  These krewes are the ones that put on the parades and pay to make the floats and buy the stuff that's thrown off the floats. As part of this, they also throw big parties throughout the Mardi Gras season. Usually on the night of their parade, the krewes throw one huge party for every member of the krewe.  


This year, I got to go to one of those parties for the first time ever since my friend was in the parade.  Her dad is a member of Endymion, so that's the krewe whose parade she was in. The party was so much fun! Some of the big krewes have really great entertainment acts and "celebrities" who also ride in the parade. This year at Endymion, Anderson Cooper, Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos and Andy Cohen (i.e. Bravo Andy!) rode in the parade.  The entertainment for the night was Pat Benatar and Train.  They were both really good and the party was so fun!

As part of the party, the parade went through the convention center right in front of us. It was so cool to see everything up close and we caught some REALLY good stuff!
My beautiful friend, Kathryn! 
My friend Marybelle was standing right next to us and she kept catching all the best stuff! Here's some of what she caught.
I took a lot more pictures of that night, but I didn't really take photos of the other parades that we went to on Sunday.  I guess I was busy having fun.

I did manage to take a phone pic of this awesome king cake that I brought home and got to share with some classmates for Mardi Gras. I also sported my new favorite beads to class last Tuesday! 
It was as yummy as it looks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.