Monday, November 29, 2010

Book Reviews

Here's an update on the books I read last week.


Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella was pretty good.  If you've read the other shopaholic books, you will know what to expect from this one.  It definitely wasn't my favorite book by Sophie Kinsella, but if you've read all the other books, you should pick this one up too.  And it is clear from the ending of this book that there will be more of Becky (the main character) in the future.


The Help was really, really great.  If you enjoy books like To Kill a Mockingbird (my personal favorite), you will enjoy The Help.  When people described this book to me, they always described it as the tale of southern families in the 1960s told from the perspective of their "help" or maids, housekeepers, nannies, etc.  But it really is not just that at all.  There is a much bigger story line here and it is very moving.  I must admit I had a bit of trouble getting past the way the author chose to write in the voices of a couple of the characters, but after a while, I saw that it fits the book.  I highly recommend adding it to your holiday reading list.

I also said that I was going to finish reading The Nineteenth Wife on my break, but I didn't make much headway on that one.  I have to admit, the book has stalled out a little bit for me and I'm having a hard time getting back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.