Monday, November 15, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I tried this recipe this weekend.  The soup turned out great and I would recommend it to anyone!
Just a side note- I'm sorry for the horrible quality of these photos.  I lost my camera charger in my move, so I'm winging it with my blackberry for now.

Recipe from Ina Garten.

Ina's Soup.  I mean, obviously.


Ingredients:
  • 3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
  • 2 yellow onions [I only used one onion]
  • 2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade [I used store-bought and it was fine]
  • 1/2 teaspoon good curry powder
I also used 8 oz. of packed pumpkin puree. 

Instructions:


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. [This is really important to get them to cook evenly.]  Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. 
Before roasting.
Divide the squash mixture between 2 sheet pans and spread it in a single layer. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until very tender.
After roasting.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done, put them through a food mill fitted with the medium blade. (Alternatively, you can place the roasted vegetables in batches in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add some of the chicken stock and coarsely puree.) [ I placed the veggies in my small food processor.  It took about 5 batches and it was a pretty quick process.]  
This is what the puree will look like before you add the chicken stock and cook it down.
When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  [I added chicken stock and brought to a low boil and let it cook for about 20 minutes.  Then, I turned the heat down and let it cook for about an hour more.]   Taste for seasonings to be sure there's enough salt and pepper to bring out the curry flavor. 
Voilà.
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

For those fellow bloggers out there, check out designer Tricia Nae's Holiday Blog Makeover Giveaway!  Her designs are so cute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.