Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Season's Greetings

So, today while I was out shopping, the lady in line in front of me was wearing a t-shirt from Southern Belle. I first noticed these shirts when I was in Alabama over Thanksgiving and now I've seen them everywhere.  They have designs that talk about different "southern" things and some designs that highlight different colleges.  They are pretty fun overall and I think they are cute for some people.  Basically- I have nothing against them.

Until today.  And now I don't have anything against the company, but I am bothered by one of their designs.

I saw a lady wearing a shirt similar in design to this one:
(unfortunately, I couldn't find a design exactly like the one I saw today)

But her shirt read:
"Real Southern Belles still say Merry Christmas"

I mean I don't really consider myself a "southern belle," even if I was raised in the South, but I guess if I did consider myself one, this shirt would be telling me that I should reconsider that.

Seeing this lady's shirt just really bothered me.  She seemed like a perfectly nice lady and I recognize that she has every right to express her opinions, whatever they may be.  But I have to respectfully disagree with the notion that it is wrong to say "Happy Holidays."  I've seen several rants on blogs & twitter lately about how awful it is that so many people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and I just really disagree with that. 

To me, saying "Happy Holidays" is not about cutting Jesus or God out of the equation, it is about being accepting and inclusive.  In my opinion, you should say "Happy Holidays" to someone if you do not know which holiday (if any) they celebrate.  If you know someone celebrates Christmas, then you can say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Chanukah" or whatever.  Otherwise, why would you want someone to feel disenfranchised because of the greeting you use?  I get that most people who celebrate other holidays don't take it that seriously or offensively when people say "Merry Christmas," but why wouldn't you want to be overly inclusive rather than being so uptight about Christmas?  

I just wish people were not so enraged about the "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" thing.  If you are sincerely wishing someone a happy or merry anything and you have love in your heart for that person, why should the exact semantics matter?  Isn't the holiday season about love and gratefulness, anyway? 


Happy Holidays to you & yours this holiday season! 

I love and am grateful for all of my readers! 

2 comments:

  1. you should have tapped her on the shoulder and told her that real southern belles dont real tshirts to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree agree. very well said katelyn = )

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.