Monday, December 6, 2010

The (Second) Best Christmas Gift EVER & A Carrot Cake Recipe

Well, blog friends.  I've been holding out on you.  And I'm sorry, really very truly sorry.

Meet Lolly, my gift from "Santa" this year.
Isn't she so beautiful?  I love her.  By the way, I've decided to start naming my furniture, and I think Lolly counts as furniture, don't you?  Haha.

When my dad visited a few weeks ago, he spent like 20 minutes rooting around my kitchen looking for a place for me to put a mixer.  I finally resolved to move the things I had on my counter already (knives and my food processor) to make room for a mixer.  My dad had this shipped straight to my apartment and I got it in time to make holiday treats with it.  The thing I love most about my mixer is that I didn't even have to get married for someone to give her to me.  Haha.  Just kidding... sort of.  
But really, my dad is way too generous to me and I am so lucky.

So, naturally the first thing I made with Lolly was something for my dad upon his visit to D.C.  I found this recipe from Gina's Skinny Recipes.  

Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe by Gina from skinnytaste.com


Ingredients for cake:


3/4 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tbsp canola oil

2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

2 cups grated carrots, peeled

20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained 

1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping



Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.


Spoo
n batter into an 8" x 3" cake pan coated with cooking spray. 



Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.


To prepare frosting, 
beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts. 


This cake is very dense and filling, and you would hardly know that it is light! 
Enjoy! 



1 comment:

  1. I love Lolly!! I will have to try this recipe, seeing as the chili recipe was so great!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! Its great to know people out there actually read (and hopefully enjoy) this blog! Please leave me an email address if you can. I love to respond to readers who leave comments when possible.